Monday, January 7, 2008

Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)


The Spice Girls were the biggest girl band of the mid-90s, around the time I was a mere preteen going to the early teens. Whoever have not heard this name in one way or another must have come from a whole different universe. Really! They were the biggest group of popstars that everybody adores. Their music was the anthem and their dance moves were imitated in every school program I could remember back then. But after 2 explosive albums and even a movie, they disbanded. Sad but true. I think it was around 1998 that fans went in mourning the world throughout because Geri Halliwell a.k.a Ginger Spice left the group and made out for a solo career. The remaining four, Mel C (Sporty Spice), Emma Bunton (Baby Spice), Mel B (Scary Spice) and Victoria Adams-Beckham (Posh Spice) continued on with the group, although each carried on with their own solo careers later on. Music videos from both camps showed the severance from each other....who could forget Geri's video "Look at me" with a depiction of Ginger's death? And the quartet's "Goodbye" and "Let love lead the way" could only mean sending off Geri with their love.
Fast forward to nine years later, mid 2007, headlines blared that the Spice Girls are reuniting and going on a world wide tour. I could just cry. I guess my blog entry's several months late in keeping with the hot topic but hey, I always didn't have the luxury of time to blog and think of great topics to post. But I few hours ago I saw on TV their first public performance before kicking off their tour, and that was when they performed at the Victoria's Secret fashion show. I almost cried. Call me whatever but it's really like meeting an old friend whom you haven't seen in years. It's good that their back. And I guess their new song tells it all--friendship never really does end!

No comments: