Friday, November 14, 2008

First Grand Laag

It starts with a dream, a wishful thinking, a sense of adventure, and before you know it, everything start to unravel itself. Who would have thought that a vague idea of traveling abroad hatched among us friends would actually come true nine months later? I don't know with my friends but for me, I was really pervently hoping that we could pursue this dream for a number of reasons.

First of all, I need to have a sense of fulfillment, afterall, this would be my second last vacation before being confined to my responsibilities. Yes, I would like to count my chickens before they hatch by saying that come April 1, 2009, I would already be starting my duties as a medical clerk in the hospital. Unfortunately, this is not an april fool's joke. I have already resigned myself to round-the-clock medical environment, meaning, that by then, I would be giving up all activities, hobbies, socializations totally unrelated to medicine. Unlike now, I can still step out of this path every friday night and saturday where I would not study or do my assignments even if I have to cram overtime on sunday. This is my principle, and helps me get through the week's stress. So, knowing that for the next year, I would be confined to the hospital, I decided to have my fun ahead, even if it means I have to do it alone, because I know my friends are somewhat pessimistic with the idea. They don't really trust us to be able to achieve this goal.

Second, I know I have enough savings for this trip. What's the purpose of all those times I had been such a miser? Maybe I'm just really a "wise-spender" or not really interested in shopping, or unable to find anything interesting to buy but the fact remains that I had been relatively thrifty with my allowance in the past year. What's the use if I'm not going to spend it in anything worthwhile? Afterall, it's just money. I won't be able to bring it in the afterlife. And there's really no better time to do this than now.

So, I muster up my energy to convince my friends to really see this through. This is my only opportunity before my realities of being a doctor sets in. I kept reminding them to buy tickets and finding accommodations in the internet. I have set my mind to this. I can't bear the heartache if this trip didn't push through.

I know that God is really good. Despite the obstacles (primarily the lack of finances, then Esmot's mom hospitalized, then getting off from work) finally, we were able to have a clear shot of this once-upon-a-time dream of ours. On October 22, Mitzi, Loren and I flew to Manila and met with Joy Myrn there. At around 12 AM October 23, Alaine arrived at the HongKong Airport from Japan. By 5:40 AM on that same day, the four of us in the Philippines (me, Mitzi, Loren plus Joy) stepped on the plane that would take us to Hong Kong in two hours. By 9:40 AM, Esmot, after 14 hours in the air, coming from California finally arrived in Hong Kong.

And that's how, after 6 years, the six of us were finally reunited whole, in a foreign soil, and had the time of our lives....so far.

PS. This is only the beginning of what could be a tradition in the making.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next stop, Greece! Here we come.. m